Sydney Markets is Australia's major centre for the marketing of fresh fruit, vegetables and flowers.
The markets’ 43-hectare site is located at Flemington in the heart of Sydney and opposite the Homebush Bay Olympic site.
An estimated $3 billion - or 2.5 million tonnes - of fresh fruit and vegetables and $150 million of flowers are sold annually through Sydney Produce Market, Sydney Growers Market and Sydney Flower Market.
The Flemington site hosts 120 wholesalers, 400 produce growers, 170 flower grower-sellers and over 160 supporting businesses.
This ‘one-stop-shop’ includes packaging, exporters, providers, warehouses, agricultural supplies, industry associations, banks, shops, cafes, a post office and other business facilities.
Sydney Produce Market
Sydney Produce Market is the largest fresh fruit and vegetable wholesale market in Australia and one of the largest in the world. This market primarily caters to professional buyers from supermarkets, restaurants, greengrocers, exporters and food processors.
Sydney Growers Market
Sydney Growers Market provides a daily outlet for growers to sell their own fruit, vegetables and herbs grown and harvested on their farms within the Sydney basin.
Sydney Flower Market
Sydney Flower Market is Australia's largest flower market. Approximately 170 traders operate here daily, trading in flowers from all over Australia and the world.
Sydney Markets Tours
While the city sleeps the Sydney Markets have been awake for hours!
Thomson Street, as the preferred tour operator for Sydney Markets Limited, offers early morning tours of the Sydney Markets site at Flemington.
For over 15 years we have operated tours for thousands of visitors who have come to enjoy and love Australia’s largest, fresh fruit, vegetable and flower markets.
Our dedicated and knowledgeable team of tour guides cater to all types and sizes of groups from school groups to international delegates.
With an abundance of friendly approachable traders selling fresh produce from across Australia and the world there’s always something for everyone to enjoy!
What We Offer
- Tours run Monday to Friday throughout the year (Public Holidays excepted).
- Tours are run by specially trained guides.
- Tours are 1 to 1.5 hours in duration.
- We can accommodate a maximum of 20 visitors per guide. Larger groups will be split up into groups of 20 or under, each with their own guide.
- Starting times for tours are between 5.30am and 8.00am. We recommend starting no later than 7.30am in order to catch the markets in full swing.
- Breakfast, morning tea or refreshments can be arranged at one of the on site cafes at the conclusion of the tour.
- Bookings are essential for all tours.
Monthly Public Tours
A special once a month tour for individuals or smaller groups
Ideal for primary, high school and tertiary groups, overseas visitors, study groups, vocational groups and general interest groups
A personalised tour for individuals or small groups – minimum charges apply